Essentials of Sociology, adapted from George Ritzer’s Introduction to Sociology, provides the same rock-solid foundation from one of sociology′s best-known thinkers in a shorter and more streamlined format. With new co-author Wendy Wiedenhoft Murphy, the Third Edition continues to illuminate traditional sociological concepts and theories and focuses on some of the most compelling features of contemporary social life: globalization, consumer culture, the internet, and the “McDonaldization” of society.
New to this Edition
- Updated examples in the text and “Digital Living” boxes keep pace with changes in digital technology and online practices, including Uber, Bitcoin, net neutrality, digital privacy, WikiLeaks, and cyberactivism.
- New or updated subjects apply sociological thinking to the latest issues including:
- the 2016 U.S. election
- the global growth of ISIS
- climate change
- further segmentation of wealthy Americans as the “super rich”
- transgender people in the U.S. armed forces
- charter schools
- the legalization of marijuana
- the Flint water crisis
- fourth-wave feminism