The only pathology textbook written specifically for physical therapy, this edition continues to provide practical and easy access to information on specific diseases and conditions as they relate to physical therapy practice. Coverage includes guidelines, precautions, and contraindications for interventions with patients who have musculoskeletal or neuromuscular problems, as well as other medical conditions such as diabetes or heart disease. Logically organized content offers at-a-glance access to essential information on common illnesses, diseases, adverse drug effects, organ transplantation, laboratory values, and more to ensure the most reliable and effective physical therapy for patients.
- Up-to-date coverage with contributions from more than 100 content experts in pathology and physical therapy.
- Revised content throughout provides the most current information required to be an effective practitioner.
- Full-color interior design, photos, and illustrations visually reinforce key concepts.
- A Therapist’s Thoughts offers personal and clinical insights from experienced therapists specializing in cancer, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, women’s health, lymphedema, psychological problems, and much more.
- Special Implications for the Therapist boxes provide information and ideas to consider when formulating a plan of care that addresses precautions, contraindications, and best practice specific to physical therapy.
- Current information on conditions, medical testing and treatment, and practice models keeps students up to date on the latest research findings and recent changes in the field.
- Key information presented in an at-a-glance format is organized by body system for easy reference.
- Basic science information addresses the clinical implications of disease within the rehabilitation process, covering common illnesses and diseases, adverse effects of drugs, organ transplantation, laboratory values, and much more.
- Coverage includes updated information on standard precautions.
- Separate chapter addresses laboratory tests and values that are important in physical therapy practice.
- Separate appendix provides guidelines for activity and exercise.
- A focus on health promotion and disease prevention is featured throughout the text.