Manual Therapy for Musculoskeletal Pain Syndromes: an evidence- and clinical-informed approach 1st Edition by Cesar Fernandez de las Penas PT MSc PhD (Editor), Joshua Cleland PT DPT PhD OCS FAAOMPT (Editor), Jan Dommerholt (Editor)
- Publisher : Churchill Livingstone; 1st edition (July 10, 2015)
- Language : English
- Format: Original PDF / Print replica
- ISBN-10 : 9780702055768
- ISBN-13 : 978-0702055768
Blue texts are Keyword Links.
A pioneering, one-stop manual which harvests the best proven approaches from physiotherapy research and practice to assist the busy clinician in real-life screening, diagnosis and management of patients with musculoskeletal pain across the whole body. Led by an experienced editorial team, the chapter authors have integrated both their clinical experience and expertise with reasoning based on a neurophysiologic rationale with the most updated evidence.
The textbook is divided into eleven sections, covering the top evidence-informed techniques in massage, trigger points, neural muscle energy, manipulations, dry needling, myofascial release, therapeutic exercise and psychological approaches. In the General Introduction, several authors review the epidemiology of upper and lower extremity pain syndromes and the process of taking a comprehensive history in patients affected by pain. In Chapter 5, the basic principles of the physical examination are covered, while Chapter 6 places the field of manual therapy within the context of contemporary pain neurosciences and therapeutic neuroscience education.
For the remaining sections, the textbook alternates between the upper and lower quadrants. Sections 2 and 3 provide state-of-the-art updates on mechanical neck pain, whiplash, thoracic outlet syndrome, myelopathy, radiculopathy, peri-partum pelvic pain, joint mobilizations and manipulations and therapeutic exercises, among others. Sections 4 to 9 review pertinent and updated aspects of the shoulder, hip, elbow, knee, the wrist and hand, and finally the ankle and foot. The last two sections of the book are devoted to muscle referred pain and neurodynamics.
- The only one-stop manual detailing examination and treatment of the most commonly seen pain syndromes supported by accurate scientific and clinical data
- Over 800 illustrations demonstrating examination procedures and techniques
- Led by an expert editorial team and contributed by internationally-renowned researchers, educators and clinicians
- Covers epidemiology and history-taking
- Highly practical with a constant clinical emphasis